Saturday, January 22, 2011

life is good

With a slightly downbeat last update, I wanted to focus on all of the magnificent moments which presently compose my life. Maybe all I needed to do was write about the struggles and frustrations, because life in Indonesia has been infinitely better since.
  • There is considerable progress with my students’ speaking and listening levels from last semester till now.
  • I started my English class for teachers this week, and 15 teachers showed up- enthusiastic to learn and eager to come back the following week. The enthusiasm has spread through the office and a number of others have voiced interest in joining next week.
  • I can’t explain it, but I feel myself transforming into a better, more grown-up person. I’m more organized, more productive, more confident and take more initiative, which has transmitted directly into being a better teacher (my humble opinion, of course).
  • It feels good knowing that I am having an impact on people here. Maybe not as substantial as I had originally imagined, but the little successes in life still deserve recognition.
  • I got a package of letters from the students at my partner school in Boulder, each excited and hoping to be matched with an Indonesian pen pal.
  • I had a fun little photo shoot with my neighborhood kids who are, without fail, growing on me every day.
  • Got an awesome package from Mom sharing Christmas memories from home and fun craft supplies for future lessons with my students.
  • My RT had a talk with my host brother, so he’s been uncharacteristically well-behaved and diligent.
  • Life is good.

That’s all for now. Just wanted to make sure I share the good moments with the less-than-good moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment