Monday, January 31, 2011

Sunday January 30, 2011

Today was one of those just right days when everything inexplicably flows perfectly. I can’t help but replay Ice Cube’s “Today was a Good Day” over and over in my head. Granted his content varies drastically from my own, but ultimately the message is the same. None of my normal stressors crossed my path, and things that generally bother me didn’t trouble my psyche today. Actually my whole week has been pretty great, insanely busy, but great.

Today commenced with the conclusion of a much needed solid 10-hour night’s sleep, making up for the accumulation of lost naps and late nights from the previous days. I met Bu S for an early-morning walk while the weather was still cool and the mosquitoes weren’t quite awake yet. We went down to the main river, somewhere I had never been before, and bonded with the neighboring village women who were washing their families’ daily laundry.

The secluded path reminded me of hiking in Colorado and I reflected on the thought that as much as I miss snow and hot chocolate, I’m pretty lucky to be taking a stroll through nature in January. We took off our shoes and socks, waded through the water, walked barefoot on the opposite shore, and despite the frequent shards of broken glass, took pleasure in our serene surroundings and the gossiping women. We met fishermen and their wives and their grandbabies. We met men who sifted sand after the river floods (a regular event during the current rainy season) for construction purposes, starting their day around six and working till sunset for approximately 50,000 Rp or US$5 a day.





I found my new favorite flower, putri malu or shy princess. A lavender-colored, ball-shaped flower with long, thin petals whose leaves close inward with the threat of human touch.












On the walk home we helped women frighten the birds away from their rice paddies using makeshift scaring devices.

Scaring the Birds Away

We made friends with the construction workers in front of my house and borrowed handmade bricks from them for English Club later that morning. A successful English Club followed by a bit of solitude where I was finally able to finish reading Little Women. Fresh fruit at home. Knowing that my teachers and I are prepared for our lessons this week. And now having time to type without distraction form my host brother.

Motivated Students + Lifelong Friends + New Experiences + Time to Read

=

A Good Day

Bu S and I at the River


Monday January 31, 2011

My host mom is pregnant again after months and months of trying! She is due at the beginning of September!



No comments:

Post a Comment